Applying to MESA
- ENROLLMENT: Students must be enrolled in 6.0 units or more at Mission College.
- MAJOR: Students must major in a Math, Engineering, Science or a related field that requires calculus (Math 3A). Typical majors include: Math, Engineering, Computer Science, Biology, Chemistry, PreMed, Pre-Dentistry, Pre-Pharmacy and Physics.
- TRANSFER: Students must plan to transfer to a four-year university to earn a bachelor's degree.
- REQUIRED CLASSES: In order to transfer students must plan to complete at least Math 3A (Calculus) or higher AND any 2 courses from the following list: Math 2, 3B, 4A, 4B, 4C, 19; Physics 4A, 4B, 4C; Biology 1A, 1B, 4, 41, 42, 43, 47, 48; Chemistry 1A, 1B, 12A, 12B.
- FINANCIAL HARDSHIP (SELECT ONE): MESA students must be eligible for financial aid, including the BOG waiver, OR Are not yet 25, but live on their own.
To qualify to be a MESA participant, students must be educationally disadvantaged. This includes being first generation to pursue a bachelors degree, attending a low-API high school, beginning college with a math assessment at or below elementary algebra, and other factors.
We review applications in the first three weeks of classes, though we accept applications year round. Bring your application to our office or email it to us.
Events: MESA events are posted here, e-mailed to current MESA and Friends of MESA/ASEM students. Several events are open to ALL Mission College students!
- ALL MESA members must participate in one event per semester.
- Students participating in events off campus must submit a Voluntary Field Trip Form two weeks prior to the event. The Field Trip Form/Agreement can be dropped off at our office or emailed.
- If you have questions about events please visit us in the MESA Study Center, room SEC-152, call (408) 855-5482 or email us.
- MESA students are required to perform at least two hours of volunteer work per semester.
- Volunteer work related to your major is preferred.
- We will arrange one group volunteer day per semester but you can also volunteer on your own.
- The MESA Volunteer Form can be dropped off in our office or emailed to us.
- All MESA Students must schedule and attend at least one counseling session with our MESA Counselor per semester.