What is STEM Core?
STEM Core is a program at Mission College to prepare students for careers in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math through accelerated Math and Engineering courses combined with other resources to help students succeed in their desired pathway.
STEM Core aims to assist students who are interested in a STEM major/career path and need to take Elementary Algebra (Math 903) or Intermediate Algebra (Math C). As part of this program, students will take a block of cohorted Math and Engineering courses that prepare students for Calculus and advanced Engineering classes in one academic year.
- Free use of course textbooks for all STEM Core affiliated courses
- Supplemental instruction (SI)/extra tutoring resources for STEM Core courses
- STEM Workshops
- Career speakers
- Resume/Interview techniques
- Professional development
- College transfer
- Field trips to local tech companies/industry partners/transfer institutions
- Opportunities to compete for exclusive PAID summer internships at NASA Ames, Lockheed Martin, Jabil, and many other employers in Silicon Valley. (In order to apply for summer internships, students must complete the STEM Core sequence of courses.)
Students are eligible in the Spring 2019 semester by:
- Successful completion of MAT C by the end of Fall 2018.
- Placement into Math 1 by taking the placement exam
- Successful petition of prior course experience with the Math department chair
Math 1 (CRN 33421) / Math D (CRN 33413)
Instructor: Gabriel Porrata-Vallejo
9:20 AM - 11:25 AM • GC-221
Please take an Engineering and/or Computer Science course to be competitive for PAID summer internships.
Choose from any of the following:
- EGR 10 Introduction to Engineering
- CIS 007 Python Programming
- CIS 040 C++ Programming
- CIS 043 Software Development with Java Programming
The courses above are great introductory courses, but you are not limited to them.