Thank you for your interest in Puente at Mission College!
Puente means "bridge" in Spanish. The Puente Project is a national award-winning program that for over 35 years has improved the college-going rate of tens of thousands of California's educationally underrepresented students.
The program was founded in 1981 at Chabot College in Hayward, California, and has since expanded to 61 programs throughout the state of California.
- Learn more about Latino/a culture and issues
- Receive a personal 1-on-1 mentor
- Priority registration
- Help with transferring to a four-year college
As part of the program, Puente students take English 1AX and Counseling 5 in the fall semester. They then take English 1B and Counseling 7 in the spring semester. During both semesters, Puente students take part in events, such as trips to university campuses, and also receive mentoring from local professionals.
Puente students work closely with their Puente counselor until they transfer to a four-year college or university.
Puente is open to students of all backgrounds. To learn more, check out our video & our recruitment flyer!
Steps to Join
We are now recruiting for the 2021/2022 cohort! We have 30 spots and this is on a first come, first serve basis.
- Complete our INTAKE FORM by May 17, 2021
- If you meet out eligibility, we will invite you to a required Information Session on Zoom.
- Attend Information Session & complete the Puente contract.
- Meet with Puente counselor to create your educational plan
Counseling 005 (3 units)
Wednesdays, 10:55 am - 12:20 pm (in-person/on-campus) + Online instruction
English 001AX (5 units)
Wednesdays, 12:40-2:40 pm (in-person/on-campus) + Online instruction
Note: Due to COVID-19, our fall courses will be hybrid which is a combination of in-person if county allows and asynchronous (online at your own pace) instruction modalities.
English 1B (3 units)
10:55 am - 12:20 pm
Counseling 007/007H (1 unit)
Mondays 12:40-1:45 pm
Puente’s mission is to increase the number of educationally underrepresented students who enroll in four-year colleges and universities, earn degrees and return to their communities as leaders and mentors to future generations. Puente is open to all students.
- Must be eligible to enroll in English 1AX & Counseling 005 in the fall semester. Must enroll in the English 1B & Counseling 007 for the following Spring semester.
- Must be planning to transfer to a 4 year university.
- Must commit to participating in all program activities/required events for the 1 year learning community.
Service Area Outcomes
SAO 1: Phase 2 students will complete two college level English courses and a transfer timeline assignment.
SAO 2: Phase 3 students who are eligible to transfer will earn an associate degree and/or certificate and/or be admitted to a university as a transfer student.